Monday, May 24, 2010

This is Going to be Long

So much on my heart and I'm not sure how to get it all out. So many thoughts swirling around so bear with me. I try so hard to get my feelings and opinion out without judgement but I don't know that it always works too well. When you hear things opposing something you are passionate about it becomes hard to keep your words full of grace.

Yes....I am talking about adoption and so much of the ignorance that surrounds it. I will not even get into the idiotic comments Pat Robertson made regarding adoption. I cannot begin to understand how he could say what he did on national television. So contrary to the heart of God, to the heart of adoption, to the essence of the Gospel! I vacillated between anger and sadness. He has missed the heart of it all. God's blessed forgiveness of us, His gracious acceptance of us as we are, His invitation of adoption to become one of His children - it is a beautiful love He has given to us!

Ok...so maybe I will address some of his comments. His comment of "You just don't know what you are getting. You could have a child with brain damage, a child with a disability. You need to count the cost." I would like to ask him why those children are considered less love able? Weren't they knit together in a womb just like myself? Aren't they one of God's lovely children? Do they deserve to be put away in a crib to never be touched because they have a disability? What about all the beautiful children on Reece's Rainbow? My heart aches for them. Waiting and waiting to be rescued. And for them it literally is being rescued from a life of being institutionalized. I commented a few weeks ago about Adeye who was adopting two beautiful little girls who had been on Reece's Rainbow who have down syndrome. One of which has been confined to a crib for her entire 5 years of life and who weighs a mere 16 pounds. Please please take a few minutes and head over to her blog and let your heart be expanded and blessed. http://www.nogreaterjoymom.com/ I want to almost beg you to go read her last post about Hailee. And take a few minutes to go look at the children on Reece's Rainbow - maybe God has someone He wants to be in your family. I think sometimes "I don't know that God has given me the capacity to deal/handle a child with special need." And then I think, "I believe that is one of those cop out lines. So easy to excuse myself if I don't have the capacity to do something." Again....not by our strength but His, right?

Pat made another comment along the lines of, "You have to remember. It isn't like going to the pound and getting a dog. Adoption is for life." What??? Did you honestly just compare adoption to getting a dog? Craziness!!

How about the comment that they may have demonic influence. Last time I read the Gospels it was pretty clear to me that Jesus came to bring freedom to those in bondage.

I am not trying to trivialize issues that can present in adoption. And there are things that are unique to parenting adopted children. And sometimes a child has a very difficult time adjusting and there are life long struggles. Oh, he said so many things that made no sense. I mean there is always a risk, right? If you didn't want uncertainty and risk in life than I suggest you stay away from the whole parenting thing no matter how the child becomes your child.

Lets face it: most of what holds us back from stepping out into unknown territory is fear. Am I right? I am not speaking just of adoption here but so many areas of life. The what if's, the worst case scenarios, the unknowns, etc. Isn't it all fear that keeps us bound to the life we know? If we are truly honest with ourselves isn't it fear that keeps us from stepping out and doing things that have eternal impact? And who exactly is fear from?

I am pretty sure that the number one command in scripture (as in number of times it is present in scripture) is "Do not be afraid." "Do not fear." If that is the command that shows up in scripture the most times it tells me that we as a people tend to be ruled by fear and allow fear to make decisions for us. I am certainly not exempt from this battle in my own life. I have spoken about my battle with fear before.

My goal this week is to try and blog about different fears that surround adoption and then get off my soap box for a while. I will return to everyday life at our house. My husband may even do a post finally. He has had some great things to say lately and I told him it is time to make a guest appearance. Some of things I want to talk about is the fear of the cost, fear of how it will affect the family unit that is already present, I am too old, etc. I really welcome feed back too. Oh...and within the near future I am going to do my very first blog give away!! So stay posted......

2 comments:

Barb said...

Becky, is there a link to what Pat said? This is so crazy!!

Valerie said...

Link:
http://chrisitianallianceblog.org/?p=695
14 minutes in starts the segment on adoption, Pat Robertson's comments go through 24 minutes or so.

It's all truly crazy, although in discussing adoption around, I think a lot of regular people (as in not TV personalities) think these same things. People often talk about the "cost" and if it will spoil one's real family, and so on.