Monday, May 24, 2010

Fear of the Cost

There is cost involved with adoption. Both emotional and financial. I want to just look at the financial part since you all know some of the emotional cost we have walked through. And what we have been walking through with our sweet girl is mild if you want to start comparing our story to other people's stories.

I read something so thought provoking last week. So this is not original with me. One of the biggest things that stands in the way of people pursuing adoption is the financial cost. But what if we started looking at the cost in a different way. What if we viewed it as ransom. The money needed to ransom a child. Could be your child, the child of someone in your family or the child of a friend. Could possibly even be the child of someone you don't know. If there was a ransom needed to free your child what would you do? To what lengths would you go to free them? To what lengths would you go to help someone you love ransom their child? Because in reality there are millions of children being held captive. They are held captive because of circumstances, poverty, abandonment, death of parents, etc. These children have experienced mind-numbing loss before they are blessed enough to be part of a family. They are captive to emotional pain that only loads of love can begin to heal. Persistent love. Exhausting love.

And that my friends is how I have decided to look at the cost of adoption. As though I am paying a ransom. After all...."just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." A ransom comes with a price, a sacrifice, a decision to maybe deny yourself something in order to free someone. I could go on but I don't want to beat this to death.


In other news....Tristan is still trying to figure out how old God is. I can't even begin to explain that He is ageless since I can't quite comprehend that myself. So he is still stuck on God being either 19 or 30. And today he informed me that when he is 90 he will be as tall as God.


So...there you have it!!

2 comments:

Shar said...

Thank you for your words regarding the financial side to things, as it is something we are often talking about with deciding to move forward with adopting. Love your perspective!

Ang said...

Hi Becky~

Thanks for sharing. I just spoke with a woman last week at the dentist's office who had several questions about our adoption. It actually cracked me up. She gave me that look-you know the one: chin down, big eyes, and in a whisper, "It must have been expensive." I said yes, it was, but you know, most Americans don't blink an eye at buying a new car or installing a swimming pool. So, I guess it's all in your perspective." (I didn't say it rudely.) I went on to say something about a life and the eternal vs. temporary. If you would have asked us how we would pay for our adoption, we would have had no idea. But,the Lord provided, big time! We have no debt from our adoption of the two babes. I know this isn't the case for everyone. However, I am so thankful. No debt for the adoption and being mortgage free allows me to stay home with them. Praise God.

Keep sharing...

Blessings and Love in Christ,
Angie