Thursday, May 27, 2010

Summer Fun

I am interrupting my "adopting fears" posts much like I interrupted my routine today. You see....I lack in spontaneity (which I have confessed before) so today I decided to shock the socks off my kids and mix things up a bit. Normally, when Judah gets home from school it is homework time, fixing dinner time, clean-up the house time, etc. But what does a mom do when it is unseasonably warm and the kids are cranky? She loads them up and takes them for a short swim before dinner. It was well worth the effort and I listened to a chorus of "thank-you's) on the way to the park. They were most appreciative. Makes me want to surprise them more often. Making a run for the water!!
The two munchkins taking a more relaxed approach at swimming than their older brothers.

Shane jumping out of the water.
Judah and Shane taking turns jumping, diving, falling into the water. Looked so fun!! My excuse to not join in the raucous fun was that I was holding Heidi. :)
My tentative son. It took him a good 40 minutes to venture past his knees but soon he was on his belly swimming around.

Castle building. I love nice free parks to swim and play!
Cold!!!
Occasionally you look through pictures and you are stunned by the beauty of your children. This is the picture that took my breath away today. She is turning into a little girl and leaving the toddler years in the dust! She is too beautiful for words!! Look out boys......she will man handle you!
Today it is back to the normal routine. There is something comforting in the predictability of my days. Yet there is something invigorating about mixing things up and being spontaneous. I am going to attempt to be more open to mixing things up this summer for the sake of my children!!

3 comments:

Dave and Heidi Applegate said...

Looks like a lot of fun in the sun, and I hear you about needing to be spontaneous and break out of the routine from time to time. Thanks for the recent comment on our blog, and hope to see you at the Erb reunion! We're planning to come and finally introduce Maggie and Bea around. -(big) Heidi

Charity Hildebrand said...

Looks like such a fun time! I need to learn to do fun things like that more often too :) Oh and I'm totally enjoying your posts on adoption fears. Keep 'em coming :)

Charity

Koelle said...

Becky, we are very similar in a lot of ways! I too am anything but spontaneous, but two days ago when the heat wave began, I took the boys to Toys R Us after school, loaded them up with new water guns and water toys and let them (and the crazy neighbor kids) run amok with the hose! We even ate dinner on the porch (because everyone was too wet to come inside!) Love the pictures! Hugs to the kiddos for me!