Sunday, September 7, 2008

Whipple Dam

There is a beautiful state park located about 1/2 hour from our home. We didn't make it there at all this summer simply because it seemed as though someone was always sick. This summer just disappeared. So....since we had beautiful and rather warm weather last week I packed the kids up one afternoon and made the trek to whipple dam. I figured they could swim, play in the sand and Mark could meet us there after he was done working. The plan worked beautifully!! We kind of had to ignore the yellow "caution-do not enter" tape and the "beach closed - no swimming" signs. I know, I know. Terrible example. The thing is the boys were completely oblivious to any wrong doing because they could swim to their hearts content. Surprisingly there were a lot of people there for a Thursday afternoon. But....where does one go to cool off when all the public pools are closed? Eden is a little fish. She has absolutely no fear of the water and will walk in really far, fall over and after we scoop her up she comes up laughing. She really doesn't care if she goes under. I have never had a child this young okay with being completely submerged. Makes me more than a little nervous!!! She was in the water before I could get her swimming suit on so she just got her clothes wet.
I love this little girl. She has added so much spice to our lives. Have I said lately that she is really, really feisty?!! We have seen her more than once running away from Tristan after he starts crying with an extremely guilty look on her face. Some kids are just so aware from such a young age.
I am amazed at how far Shane has come this summer. He is completely water safe at this point and would live in the water. He has a pretty proficient breaststroke.
And here is my Judah man! Also, very good at swimming and would also live in the water.
And then there is Tristan. Content to stick his feet in the water but much more concerned about climbing everything in sight. There are many stone walls and retaining walls at Whipple Dam. I had to retrieve him multiple times. Walking on a stone wall 4-5 feet above pavement isn't exactly a great idea. At least I don't think so.
Here he is again. The stone wall in the background is the wall I had to get him off of a few different times.
The bottom line is this: having added a fourth child to our life has forced me to relax a bit more. I am not so crazy vigilant about my house anymore and actually let the kids crawl into bed a lot of nights with dirty feet since they come in when it gets dark and it is too late for baths. I am learning that a little extra sand in the van is okay - especially after having hours of fun playing and exploring a place like Whipple Dam. Because really what is childhood about? Being a kid, living life, learning responsibility but also cutting loose and just enjoying today!

1 comment:

Ellen T said...

I love your blog and your pictures. It is fun to hear what is going on.