Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Wrong On So Many Levels

My husband has to rank up there as one of the best fathers! Especially after this past Saturday. Mark loaded the 4 older kids up to head to the insect fair while I stayed at home with Heidi. I spent some time cleaning with little interruption, sat on the couch and snuggled with Heidi and just soaked in the brief moments of having an only child again. What a strange concept, you know?

Anyway.....I got a phone call that the insect fair was a hit and that they were on their way home. Maybe I should have taken that as my clue to prepare for something but Mark is really good at calling to give me updates when he is out and about with the kids. I heard the car doors slamming, kids running, excited voices and in barged my kids with strange little plastic containers in their hands! Hmmmmm??? I was on the verge of asking what they were carrying but before I had a chance Judah informed me they had acquired Madagascar hissing cockroaches!!! Oh my!! Seriously? They are so incredibly gross!! Not only do they look creepy they also stink!! I looked at Mark with the 'how could you' look to which he kind of shrugged! Twice now Judah has come to me apologizing for accidentally dumping the containers "contents" in the kitchen sink. He really meant to dump it in the trash but somehow forgot. Ugh!! There is a valid reason you call an exterminator to eradicate them! But not us!! We welcome them into our home!

On another note altogether: Mark and I had a date night last week for the first time in 5-6 weeks. We went to a new restaurant in town that moved into the old Hooters restaurant space. The conversation went something like this:

Mark's mom: So....where did you guys go to eat?
Mark: To Kildare's. It is where Hooters used to be.
Judah: How far is this place?
Me: Not far. It is just in town.
Judah: Oh....I would love to go to Hooters!! (said with much dramatic flair)
Shane: Not Hooters- Tooters. You know.....like when you toot?

Dear Lord in heaven we laughed!!! And laughed!! And the boys had no idea what was so funny.

And another funny boy story: I heard the boys laughing in their room and upon investigating what was so funny I was shown an animal library book Judah had gotten from the library. They were looking at the red footed boobies, the blue footed boobies and black footed boobies. Judah said, "Look!! Their names are red footed booties, blue footed boobies"....(you get the idea). I asked them what was so funny about booties and they pointed to their butts! I said, "Well.....it doesn't say bootie. What does it say?" I braced myself for even more laughter upon the discovery that these birds in fact were not named after a backside but.....the dreaded front side. They read the names correctly and didn't laugh at all. And that is when I left there room in shocked silence. My 7 and 9 year old boys do not know what a booby is!!! I vacillated between telling them and letting them remain innocent for a bit longer. Innocence won out simply because things like desperately wanting to go to hooter's offers us so many laughs!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Very cute :-)

The Harts said...

on second thought... maybe we'll pray for more girls! :-)