Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cabin Extravaganza

Every year this time energy levels gain momentum and my children begin operating with crazy amounts of excitement! Why? It is almost time for the annual cabin trip. It is the highlight of our summer!

Every 4th of July all of my extended family on my dad's side descend on one of the most beautiful places in PA and possibly in the country. At least in my opinion. But for me it embodies so much! Memories, my childhood, family, life, laughter, love.....We will travel just 1 1/2 hours north from where we live but we will be out of cell phone range. It is wonderful! No Internet, no TV, no phones - just nature, silence and hours of fun!

We are going for 4 days this year with our crew. We landed our own little cabin right across the road from the "main" cabin. Not having to pitch a tent and attempt to get my kids settled in the outdoors didn't sound fun at all. Having our own little cabin will be splendid! My grandfather was part of a hunting camp years ago who purchased this land nestled in the mountains bordering a creek. They built a small cabin to accommodate the guys who hunted there but the family outgrew it long, long ago!!

My father is the oldest of 19 children! So, when you figure almost all of the siblings (my aunts and uncles), their children (my cousins), spouses of both of the previously mentioned and all my cousins children are there we have a lot of people. I think we are figuring on 150-160 people on Saturday! It is quite a production but so worth it!!

I have gone every summer of my life which may make me pathetic but it has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. It is in me! We never make any other plans over the 4th because we long for the mountains. I had this small fear growing up that my husband wouldn't enjoy the cabin experience. But Mark said to me today, "Everyone needs to experience this at least once in their life."

The camp fires, the guitars and banjos, the antics of mischievous children, the swimming in the creek, the cool mornings as the fires still smolder from the night before, the endless trips to the candy store that is within walking distance, the laughter that can be heard at any time.

So, yes! I am very excited to leave everything and get away for a few days of quietness. To connect with my relatives (the only time I see them), watch my children play with their cousins and second-cousins and just soak it all in!

I wish I could take you all with me! It is a rich heritage that I am blessed with!

2 comments:

adalong said...

Wonderful post, Becky! You sum up the experience so well! See you soon!
Love,
Ada

Koelle said...

We have a similar tradition, but different location. My mother's extended family has all gone on vacation together since my mother was a small child, and we continue to go together still. We Catholics also make big families (although not quite as big as yours), so there's quite a crew with us too. Sometimes when I get overwhelmed with all of the holiday gatherings, parties, graduations, baptisms, etc, I remind myself of how blessed we are to have each other. I once met a woman in passing who literally had no one - not one person - to spend Christmas with. It was years ago, but I still think of her often. How terribly sad for her, and what blatant reminder of our extraordinary gift of family.

Have fun!