Saturday, April 19, 2008

I know I need to wrap up our trip but I feel like talking about my day instead. Well, actually the past few days. We seem to be getting into a routine again which feels really good to me. I function much better with routine. I try to remind myself that I have some children who are more like me and I also have children who enjoy being spontaneous and throwing new things into the normalcy of life. I also try to remember that I have them for such a short time and to spend time on the things that really count. You know, like spending time with them. I can have a spotless house in 20 years, right? Except then I will wish that they were little again and making messes. I know how this cycle works.

Anyway, Tristan was sick again this week. He had croup, fever, pink eye and lots of fussiness. Poor little guy. His croup warranted a trip to the ER for a steroid treatment and then two days later we ended up having to take him for bloodwork, another throat culture (for the strep looking rash on his torso) and to have an antiobiotic shot. He was quite a trooper through it all. It only took three people to hold him down so the nurse could draw his blood. And only two people to hold him down for his shot. I felt horrible!!! His bloodwork came back looking normal so I guess he just had a nasty virus. The doc's were confused at his prolonged fever and that fact that he was so lethargic. Today though my little boy started immerging again!! He was playing, eating and talking again. Someone in our church organized meals for us the last two weeks. Initially I felt kind of silly since I hadn't physically had a baby. Wow!! Am I glad I haven't had to cook every night since I have either been sick or had a sick child since returning. I think that my scrubbing of the house and opening all the windows and airing things out has kicked the last sick germ to Timbuktoo. At least I hope.

Today I had a very nice, relaxing afternoon with just the two little ones. We have this friend who we love and who really loves our children. Her name is Ellen. A few times a year she will call and ask to take the boys for half a day to do something fun. They love going to her house because in her basement she has all kinds of instruments that are used for her house church. Anyway, she teaches at Penn State and of course is an avid Penn State football fan. Today was the blue/white game (scrimmage) and she took the boys. This is the third or fourth game she has taken them to which is no small task. They were so excited!! They slathered on their sunscreen, got their sunglasses, made sure they looked "sharp" (because dad always looks sharp) and were off. I love hearing them talk about things like looking "sharp". Hearing them process things of this nature is very humerous. So, I had 6 1/2 hours of just me, Tristan and Eden. It was lovely!! The one luxury I afforded myself was to take a nap when the two of them were sleeping. I had a momentary thought of dragging my behind out of bed and getting something worth while accomplished while they slept. But it was definetely only momentary because my next conscious moment was almost an hour later. Pure bliss!!! We then went outside and played for a while, came in and had bath time and then fired up the grill. We had a little cook-out when Ellen came back with the boys and just enjoyed hearing their tales from the day. Thank you Ellen for giving me a little break and for loving our boys so much!! You are a favorite of theirs and you are building life long memories with them!

Oh, and by the way.....we had to celebrate Judah's first kill yesterday!! He actually shot his first bird. He came running in the house and said, "Mom, mom!!! You have to come see this bird I shot!! It is just GORGEOUS!!!" I would never classify any dead animal as gorgeous but I appeased him by assuring him it was indeed gorgeous. I did take a picture of him with his kill but decided it may be somewhat offensive to someone. After his pictures he informed me that hunters get really hungry after a long day hunting (I think he had been hunting all of 10 minutes) and they need to have good snacks.

So, this was the past few days in a nutshell. We are on the up and up and enjoying this wonderful warm weather. Hope to post about our homecoming real soon. I would say tomorrow but I can't promise anything.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Gotta love Aunt Ellen! That's great, and I am soo glad to hear Tristan is feeling better. :)

Eric H said...

Sweet!! Your family is always living it up. I got to see your boys on their day with Ellen at the Blue/White game, cause I was with their grandpa!!

Amy said...

I enjoyed reading about your day. I often talk myself through the "Mom phase".... the need for getting things done weighed against the need to create special everyday moments.... wouldn't have it any other way! Glad you got a few moments of rest! That is so important and rare! Did you get the e-mail that I sent awhile back in response to your comment?

Ellen T said...

I did read this a while ago, but never commented. It was so nice of you to write about our day and times together. I always enjoy it. They are certainly full of energy and also some good laughs.