Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday Madness

Today was one of those days. If you have children I have said enough already. You know exactly what I am implying! Here is how ours went. We started the day in typical fashion - breakfast, getting dressed, making beds, started some laundry, started school, realized Judah forgot his lunch (not typical for him at all), brushed some teeth....The part I was looking forward to the most was a visit from my dear friend and her 2 year old son. Sounds wonderful, right? Except that Heidi thinks she owns every square inch in this house when her friend Luke is around. Including the air we all breathe. She is hot on his trail the entire time we are together. Lunch time came......and then went and we finished up school. The energy level seemed to keep growing and my head started spinning. Heidi woke from her nap and for some reason I picked today to dismantle her crib and transition her to a bed. She was super excited as were the other kids.! Especially when I said the crib mattress was going to have to be disposed of after being used for 10 years. This meant they could take all their pent up energy and start riding the mattress down the stairs! By the amount of laughter and rising noise levels I would say the make shift amusement park in my house was a huge success! Heidi chose this time of distraction to open and dump the fish food all over the floor. I texted my friend (who still likes me even though my daughter is unusually harsh with her son) and said I felt like I was reaching the boiling point which is never good for anyone. I carried the crib out to the garage, walked upstairs to get the vacuum to clean up the fish food and screamed! There was a bird flying around my house!! Like a drunkin' crazy bird! Flying into windows (which are not clean like the windex commercials), into the walls, got caught in a plant and eventually perched itself on the curtain rod. I was trying to contain my screams but spastic birds in small spaces can make even the bravest person jittery. Judah said he would go get something to help catch the bird. I set about opening windows hoping the bird would take flight. All the while realizing the bird must have come into the house when I had the door open transferring the crib to the garage. The bird took one more mad dash around the living room terrifying Heidi and Eden and found an open window. Judah rushed in to save the day with a tennis racket?? I guess he thought he would just hit the bird much like he does when he kills bees outside. So glad the bird escaped before it got plastered on my wall by my racket wielding son! I texted my friend back and said the boiling point was over! God had sent a bird to break up the tension! My kids actually all ate a good dinner which is something akin to miraculous! And how does a mom get a few quiet moments to clean up dinner? By recruiting her sons to read stories to the littles! It works people! They sit quietly for a few minutes and they would much rather read stories than wipe off the table and load the dishwasher. Notice the weapon of choice still on the floor of the living room?
Everyone is quiet, settled and snug in their beds! That is all the excitement I can handle for one day!!

1 comment:

Charity Hildebrand said...

Yay, blogger is working here again - I can finally read your blog! Did you get my email? Anyway, this post totally made me laugh! Now that I have been in your house I can totally picture the bird flying all around and everyone freaking out. Too funny!

Love you and miss you!