Sunday, February 7, 2010

Serenity

There is something about a crisp, clean snow that speaks serenity to my heart. Is is pure and untarnished. At least if it falls outside a home without children. At our house the snow becomes trampled in no time. Our poor forecasters said we could expect somewhere around 7 inches and we ended up with 14 inches!! I took these pictures in the evening when the sun had made an appearance after the storm clouds blew away.
I wish I could take a picture that would do justice to this big old tree. I have taken so many pictures but they never adequately capture the feelings this tree invokes in me. I know that sounds crazy! But this tree makes me happy! I look our living room window to this huge stately oak and it brings a smile to my face. The way the branches reach out it looks like big arms. In the summer when the kids are out and playing in the shadow of this tree I can't help but think of the verse in Psalm 91 that speaks of dwelling in the shadow of the Almighty. I am in no way comparing the Almighty to a tree - the massiveness of this tree, the shadow that it casts, the way it seems to protect my children - it just gives me a picture of what I must look like when I abide in Him. I can live unfettered, without worry if I just rest in His shadow!

A pine tree that is feeling the weight of the snow. Bent over, bowed, heavy.....do see another analogy. I see myself in so much of God's creation.
The boys have been enjoying this snow even though they find it challenging to walk through it. Eden has been begging to go outside but I keep telling her when her daddy comes home then she can go out. Poor little thing. I know what will happen though. She will not be able to walk and will stand there yelling. So hopefully Mark will make it home this afternoon to take her out. He left here on Friday night somewhere around midnight, pulled in early this morning (Sunday) at 1:30, slept a few hours and then went back out. Turns out it takes a very long time to clear 14 inches of snow. I am not complaining......I am extremely grateful we didn't get the 2 1/2 feet of snow that some folks received.

Does this picture need any explanation? Where else can you find a little girls bed with princess and the frog sheets peeking out, a beautiful handmade quilt from grandma with a play rifle sitting on top of it? I walked into Eden's room the other day, saw this and had to get the camera. Not every little girl has this on her bed! And I promise I did not stage the perfect little amount of sheets sticking out or the stuffed animal under the gun.

Having a little fun in the living room with the blankets from their beds. It was a lot of fun and a lot of clean up for the momma!!




1 comment:

Beautiful Mess said...

Those pics are amazing! Thank you for sharing.

...and there is a time of prayer being organized for the people in Uganda waiting for visas-check out my blog for more information

Sunday 5pm EST

God bless!