Monday, April 19, 2010

Finally....The Easter Breakdown

There is a reason it has taken two weeks for me to write about Easter. It has taken nearly that long to recuperate. Well....not really. But weekends that include lots of family time, interrupted schedules, loads of sugary sweet goodness make grumpy kids. Not the family time but all the other stuff that goes along with it. After the grand egg hunt extravaganza some of the kids were relaxing on the hillside. Riley, Avery, Cassie, Eden and Tristan!
Why are my two the only ones making the crazy faces? The other three look so posed, composed and beautiful.
This was taken the day before at my in-laws. Heidi was tuckered out so Grace took her for a stroll. It worked perfectly!

Eden playing a little field hockey with great uncle Charlie.
Tristan got in on the field hockey action too.
But the highlight of my Easter was meeting a dear friend. How can you meet a dear friend, you ask? The story goes like this: Sometime around a year and half ago I received a phone call from a woman who lived near my hometown. She had gotten my number from my sister-in-law Sharon and had some questions about our Ethiopian adoption. The first initial phone call we talked for an hour!! She had lots of questions and I did my best to answer them. They were on the cusp of beginning an Ethiopian adoption but hadn't picked an agency yet. Shortly after our first phone call they decided on an agency and the rest is history. We talked numerous times, have emailed lots of times and I waited anxiously for their referral.
Long story short they arrived home I believe sometime around 2 months ago with two beautiful babies - Anna and Gabriel! They have been attending the church my brother pastors and since we attended there on Easter Sunday to witness the baptism of my niece Riley (very cool) we finally met in person.
It is one of those surreal moments, you know? We got there a few minutes late but I spotted her husband Jim in the foyer area right away. How could anyone miss little Anna nestled in her arms. I instantly had tears which I fought to control. It was an instant flashback for me. The tiny little person, petite feet, smooth skin.....so many memories! We walked into the sanctuary area and I saw Ang standing in the back with Gabriel. I am crying again just remembering. There is something precious about meeting another adoptive mom. The bond is instant and runs deep. There are things we walk through and deal with that other mom's cannot fully grasp. Of course we both cried. Who wouldn't?
And the neatest part for me was that they went through the same agency as we did so our babies come from the same orphanage. Same baby room. Probably had some of the same nannies!
Three of Jim and Ang's children : Julia, Gabriel and Anna. Eden was slightly infatuated with them. More than she usually is with babies.
We were the last people to leave I think because we were working to tear Eden away from Anna.

Tristan got in on the shot too. Are they not beautiful?
Eden having trouble understanding personal space. Those poor children were pretty much mauled by the time we left.
Now....Ang has no idea I was going to write this and I am no way trying to exalt a person. She is extremely humble and is very honest with her life. But I just want to dispel a myth once again about adoption. That if you adopt you must have lots of money. Because my goodness!! How would one ever afford to adopt? What if adopting meant that you had to quit your job so you could stay home with your babies? What if because you made the decision to stay home with you babies and were loosing an income you had to sell your home and downsize a bit? Wouldn't that be radical? And what if your house sold and you still didn't have another home to move into? Why would one do that?
That is what Jim and Ang have done. They followed God's heart for adoption and it meant a major life change for them. Major! Quitting a job, selling a property with acreage, buying a place in town all for the sake of their children! That my friends is crazy love!!! I love meeting people who are not satisfied with the status quo, who know where true treasure is and adjust their lives to store up that treasure!! If you want to read a bit more of their story head on over to http://www.angandjimethiopia.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Charity Hildebrand said...

Awesome pictures! I love Eden's big cheesy smiles in the first two :) I got your emails and I'm planning on sitting down tonight after the kids are in bed to write you back. Hope you're having a great day! :)