Sunday, November 22, 2009

Family Size

Another question I hear frequently is, "So....do you think you are done?" As in done having children. Or adding children. Or parenting more children.

Again...a very touchy and often controversial subject. I have found people have really strong opinions about sizes of families. While large families are nothing new for us (I am one of 6 and Mark is one of 8) it is something akin to a 7th wonder of the world if you are all seen together. And we only have 5 children. And I don't say 'only 5' lightly. Because when you tell people you have 5 they suddenly seem to acquire some sort of bulging eye issue.


I had Heidi and Eden with me on Friday when I was getting groceries. Heidi was asleep in her car seat and Eden was 'helping' me push the cart through the store. In my mind we were having a very successful shopping trip which basically means the mom isn't feeling frazzled by her children. A woman glanced at me and said, "Wow! You have your hands full!" I was thinking to myself....really? Because I have one child who is sleeping peacefully and another child who was actually being helpful. Why were my hands full?


I have heard often and actually at one point almost believed the common argument that there is more dysfunction in larger families. That children feel lost, unseen and cannot have their needs met when in large families. Can I just say this: EVERY family has dysfunction! The size of the family does not dictate whether or not dysfunction will be present. Our human nature and sinfulness is what causes the dysfunction. I know there are varying degrees of dysfunction- you just have to watch people, watch the news, read the news to be aware of that fact. I will never forget the day my therapist confirmed my greatest fears: Becky....you will hurt your children. You will do many things wrong. They may need counseling of their own. But is counseling so bad? Hmmmm.....no it isn't bad at all. In fact, I learned more about myself sitting on her couch than almost anywhere else.


What about the idea that children will feel lost and unseen in their own home? Again...does the size of the family dictate that? Or do our hobbies, our busy lives, our "stuff" ultimately decide for us. So much hinges on personalities of children too. We have one son who demands very little of my time, is content to play alone, etc. I have to make a very conscious effort to connect with him. He is a child who could become 'lost'. I doesn't matter if we have 7 or 3 children. He would still have the same personality and I would still have to make the effort. We also have children who could dominate all my time and could dictate the dynamics of our home. We are aware of this and work daily to make sure they do not get all the attention. Do we do things perfectly? Obviously not!! Far from perfect. In fact so many days I tell Mark I am screwing my children up. I still have baggage to work through and will all my life.


Which brings me to this: we are flawed! Life is flawed! But there is redemption!! I am who I am because of how I was raised and my life experiences thus far! Has my life been perfect? No. Has it been blessed? Absolutely! I am more appreciative of my Father God because my earthly father did little to meet this "little" girls needs. While God has brought tremendous healing and redemption I sit here and still tear up as I type this. The pain is always raw. But I am who I am because of it. I could sit here and wish things would have been different. I could sit here and wonder what life would have been like. But why? I am comfortable with who I am and extremely grateful for my life! Look at Old Testament. Look at the story of Joseph for example. Obvious dysfunction! He was clearly a favorite out of the boys, his brothers despised him for it, sold him.....you know the story. But look at the redemption! Or what about David' life. A very sordid tale. But again...the lineage of Jesus was birthed out of brokenness!


For me, the dysfunction that I have experienced in my life has made me so aware that I need a Savior. I need a Redeemer! It really doesn't matter if there are 2, 4, 6, 8, 10.....children! I will parent, love, mess up, ask for forgiveness, admit my brokenness and do the best I can at raising the children God has blessed me with.


**I started this post two days ago and am just getting back to it. I am just going to wrap it up and continue on with a few more thoughts the next time. I really hope this is filled with grace and doesn't feel in anyway like judgement.

6 comments:

Charity Hildebrand said...

Becky - Amen, I loved this post! It is high time I come clean and admit that I have been stalking your blog for awhile now :) I don't even remember how I discovered it anymore, but I enjoy reading along. Thanks for giving me a peek into your life. I really appreciate your openness and honesty; the good as well as the hard times in parenting! You are so full of insight and wisdom - I love the way you write. We are in the process of adopting from Ethiopia and our Dossier was just sent to Ethiopia this month!

Nice to "meet" you!

Charity

Beautiful Mess said...

I loved this post... and I love your heart. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Happy Thanksgiving!! YOU are among the things I am thankful for!

Jen

steffany said...

loved this. Very wise. I needed to hear this

adalong said...

BRAVO!!! What a good post, Becky. I love your insights!
Have you ever told anyone your grandmother had a total of 19 children?! They might have to be resuscitated!
Keep up the blogging!
Love, Aunt Ada

The Gang's Momma! said...

I love this post! I am here by way of a Facebook link that was posted on a friend's page. It got me curious because of the title. We, too, have "only" 5 kids - we say only because we are fairly confident that we will add more by adoption in the Lord's timing and provision.

And I have to laugh b/c (although we go with pseudonyms on my blog) I too have a Judah and a Shayne. Only my Shayne is a girly girl :)

Nice to "meet" you. I think I'll be back. I appreciate your perspective and the thoughtful way you present it.

Katie said...

Becky, My friend Krista told me to read your blog after my facebook status was that " if any one else says to me 'you have your hands full' so help me I would give them a fist full". And I'm glad she introduced me to you. I felt a connection reading your thoughts on Family Size and the humanity of parenting. I have three boys and another baby on the way. The day that woman said to me I had my hands full I almost burst into tears. Sometimes I feel proud when people say that. But that day I felt overwhelmed. so, thanks for letting it all hang out. I have a blog too-I try to keep it on the funny side. www.katiespepperpatch.blogspot.com

You have a new reader!

katie Horst