Sunday, November 8, 2009

Orphan Sunday

As most of you know.....it is orphan Sunday. My heart is burdened as always but with a bit more intensity lately. Knowing there are 143 million orphans is heart wrenching. Did you know that if those 143 million orphans held hands and stood in a row they would reach around the earth 4 times? Staggering!!

When we started on our journey to bringing Eden home I would never have dreamt that God would take the plight of the orphan and brand it on my heart. He didn't just stamp it - he branded me for life!!

On a daily basis I ask God what it is that I need to do. I cannot walk away from what I saw and not do something. I cannot read the stats and just walk away. I cannot stare into the faces of these precious children and assume that someone else will do something.

It is my responsibility! My job! Until the day I die I will be outspoken for these children. To the point of obnoxiousness possibly.

On that note (and this is the post I said has been swimming in my mind) I will just ask for anyone who reads my blog to go to this link and seriously consider bringing this child home. And for the record....this post hasn't even gotten started!! I have much to say but need to still figure out how to say everything with as much grace as possible.

http://ordinaryheroblog.blogspot.com And towards the end of this post make sure you click on her post about meeting her sons birth mother. Read it! Let it go deep! Allow yourself to mourn and yet rejoice with this woman! This is life people!

James 1:27 - Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Your heart's passion for children reminds me of your grandmother's. God will lead and guide! ~Aunt Edith

ltwnstd said...

Thanks for posting!

I love the story about meeting the birthmom. The tears are streaming . . .

Lana

Out Loud said...

There are about 7 families from Holland that live in the apartments on the floor below us.. They call it "Dutch Row"... in Kenya up until last month, it was mandatory for you to live in the country to learn the culture of the child you were adopting for at least 9 months. These families are total heroes to me. Such amazing sacrifice. Sadly though, they just changed the law to be that you must be here for 3 years before you can adopt a child. I've met 2 families already leaving to go to another African country where the laws aren't as strict. Adoption is such a necessity here in Africa.