Monday, August 3, 2009

Medlam and Mayhem

My friend Tori came over this evening to try and take some pictures of all the kids and us as a family. The two older boys were so excited because she was bringing her daughter Lucia. They love playing with her and with the addition of Heidi this summer we haven't had any play dates or chances to hang out with them. Oh...and add to the mix that Tori's husband was in a motorcycle accident 10 weeks ago and still can't walk.

Tori arrived and things got into full swing. I wanted mostly candid shots of the kids with a few posed throughout. She got some great pictures!!! She snapped away for a long time and ended up with somewhere around 500 pictures. Now..I know only a small fraction of those will be usable but I was still excited.

I decided in the middle of picture taking that we can wait another two years to try this again. We hadn't had any family pictures taken for almost two years and there is a reason. Mayhem, people!!! Mayhem!! It isn't hard keeping track of the kids -I do that on a daily basis. It is the energy that is pouring out of them that makes me about crazy! This whole day was difficult and so the stress of trying to keep kids relatively happy and clean wasn't what I really wanted at the end of the day.

And we are learning that Heidi seems to sense the heightened excitement when people are around and does a lot of screaming when people are here. I think it is mostly that the other kids get so excited therefore the noise level goes up, the activity level goes up and so does my stress. All things that Heidi seems to sense. We had a hard time getting her to relax for the pictures but that is okay. It is who she is so we may as well capture those moments.

What could have been stressful today you ask? Hmmm....could it be Eden attempting to clean the toilet in the boys bathroom that hadn't been flushed so she was flinging pee on the walls and on the floor with the toilet brush? Or could it have been the fact that Tristan seems to not care at all that he pees down his leg and onto the floor when he has undies on? Or maybe it was the fact that I had all the kids clean and their skin moisturized for the pictures only to find Eden stripped down and playing in the kiddy pool? So much for moisturized skin! Or maybe it was finding Eden dumping orange juice into the beautiful basket that Mark's sisters just brought home from Rwanda for us? Thankfully the basket was fine since it is beautiful and one of a kind. Do you notice the reoccurring theme here? Eden is at the crux of a lot of mischievous behavior. I think she is needing some more mommy time. I will try and make that happen tomorrow and fill her little tank so she isn't feeling like negative attention is worth it!

Anyway.....I will share the pictures when Tori has them edited and passed onto me. I told her to photoshop me real good and take out the dark circles under my eyes! She's great! She will do that for me. And now I am thinking that if someone could encapsulate the euphoria I feel upon knowing my bed is calling my name they would be rich off of my purchases! I get so excited every night when I know I am going to bed to rest my weary body. I told Tristan tonight that his pillow was calling his name. I then said his name real softly and said, "Did you hear your pillow?" He looked at me with really big eyes and an almost scared expression on his face. I put him in his bed and said, "Your pillow really likes you." He said, "Oh....it does?" It was so cute but I also realized I most certainly lied to my child. Oh great!

No comments: