Saturday, July 4, 2009

The 4th

I am sitting here this fourth of July night listening to the booming of fireworks somewhere nearby. And you know, I am perfectly content not seeing them. It feels nice to me to sit in a quiet house this evening and just spend some time reflecting on my day and past few weeks. Yes...I have been absent from my blog. The past two weeks have just seemed to go by in a blur and I frankly haven't had the energy to sit and talk about my life. But tonight I do.

I had a dear friend come for a visit for a few days last week with her little boy. He is the sweetest little thing and I had such a great time catching up on life with her. I must admit....I was frustrated that my children didn't seem to cooperate while she was here. Eden especially seemed really jealous that someone was here and I was spending time with them and not focusing all my attention in her direction. She is greedy like that:) I am so glad Krista took the time to come since they are in the planning stages of moving to Kenya and I may not see her for quite a few years. Love you Krista!!

I took the boys swimming two times last week and they were so appreciative. They love to swim and haven't gotten to go much this summer. It really hasn't been warm enough to swim but last week we had some nice hot days.

Heidi had a few really rough weeks. This colic thing is horrible!! Seriously....aren't we nearing the end? This past week (knock on wood) has been better. She is more content when awake and is actually settling into a slight napping routine. I am cautiously optimistic.

I took the three younger kiddos to the cabin today!! For those of you unfamiliar with the whole cabin concept I'll break it down for you: two people (my grandparents) had 19 children, who had lots of children who in turn had lots of children. I believe there was somewhere between 150-160 people there today!! Three generations: my aunts and uncles, my cousins (me included) and now our children. Really mind blowing when you see everyone together!! Mark went for the weekend with Judah and Shane since it is the highlight of their summer and I decided to spare myself the agony/frustration/stress/horror of trying to camp with 3 little people. I'm sure people camp with kids my ages but I am not trying to impress anyone. I am sad that I am missing all the campfire talk time and the guitars/singing in the evening. But I am happily sitting at home with sleeping children. There is always next year.

As I was driving home I started thinking about some things. This job of parenting is sobering and I never take it lightly. It is a huge entrustment and we are responsible for molding and shaping these little people into adults who will have a positive effect on society and hopefully a major impact for the kingdom of God as well. This business of parenting is not trivial. As I looked around today at all my family I felt so blessed. I felt encouraged, loved, cared for and loved some more!

I have always wanted to be a mother. I will admit that sometimes I feel something akin to shame when someone asks me what I do. I feel like society at large doesn't recognize the importance of what I do on a daily basis! Being a "stay at home mom" somehow isn't looked at highly in all circles. Most days I am okay with that. Today I realized again that what I do is amazingly important!! My grandparents were not perfect parents. They didn't do everything correctly. But they did raise children who love Jesus and have a huge impact on the world. There are multiple people in medicine (and I am talking 2nd generation as well), counselors, pastors, moms, dads, entrepreneurs, laborers....you name it!! These two people have touched the world in so many ways. I look at my little brood (or large brood - depends on who you compare it to) and I wonder how many people will be impacted by their lives. What all does God have in store for them? Suddenly, my days don't look so boring and mundane. I am raising, molding, loving and shaping the future! It is a privilege and an honor to be the mother of my children!

It was really nice seeing extended family and briefly connecting with them. But the result of my travels today is a very tired momma! On that note I will head to bed and I promise some great pictures coming up real soon! Sorry if this post is kind of scattered. Just imagine what my brain must look like!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Thanks for making the effort to come that one day. It was so nice to see you. I agree, you have a very important position as mom of five!~Edith

Out Loud said...

awwww Becky! i love you too!!! totally have gushy tears right now in my eyes! :) lol!
ps. i love your kids and you and mark are totally amazing parents!