Friday, January 22, 2010

I Will Not Leave You As Orphans...

I will come to you!!! What an amazing promise, yes? To know that we are not forgotten by the Father.

Adoption is a beautiful picture of God's heart towards us. We all know this.

Adoption also isn't easy. The transitions can be tricky and invariably you run into things unexpected. And I am not talking about the logistics. I am talking about the emotion involved in parenting a child who has experienced the ultimate rejection - abandonment. I am learning it doesn't matter how the abandonment happens - whether it be the death of the parents or being relinquished. It runs deep within a child. No matter the age. One day your mother is there and the next day they aren't. My heart breaks. In parenting Heidi, bonding with Heidi, nursing Heidi I am realizing how much disruption Eden experienced in those first 10 months of her life. It has lasting effects. Effects that we are learning but also believing the Holy Spirit will direct us in how to touch her little heart. She is a precious treasure.

How glad I am that God doesn't look at me and see all my needs, my brokenness, my baggage and think I am too much. He looks at me, takes me as I am and loves me. Gives me His name and calls me His own!

Now imagine with me you are 9 years old. You have only ever known an orphanage as your home. You have never known a mother or father's love. What exactly is a family? It sounds so wonderful yet so unattainable! For you to have a family someone will have to take a risk. And it just seems that people are so comfortable in their lives that they don't want the risk that is involved with you. Everyday is the same. Hopefulness gets drowned out by reality. Longing is stifled by your tenacity. You have so much to give!! Can anyone see? Our friends, Kim and Stacy, welcomed beautiful Annabelle into their hearts, homes and family this week. Really they welcomed her five years ago. They just didn't know who she was until this past July. And they answered the call. They took the risk! They opened their arms to offer an orphan a family!!

Nothing gets me going like adoption does!! I love the pictures of children moments after meeting their parents. This little girl who was abandoned now has a home! Join me in celebrating with them and their children who are here waiting for their return. www.stacysublett.com Just read over this last week of posts. I cannot wait until they arrive home!!!

1 comment:

Ang said...

Hi Becky,

Thanks for sharing. I was able to take a peek at your friends' blog. Awesome.

We're preparing to leave for Ethiopia in less than one week. It's hard to believe the time has come. All the praying, planning, and tears will come to fruition in just a few days. Thank you for sharing your heart in regard to Eden. I'm sure there will be days when I go back and read your posts at various times and various ages of her life.

We are thrilled but the last few days have been a whirlwind of trying to get everything ready. We're also in the midst of selling our home, so it's been pretty crazy, but God's grace truly is sufficient.

:-)Angie