Friday, October 2, 2009

A Diversion

Of course I am already deviating from my "spotlighting" of my children. I just need to process and digest my week. I am sitting here on my couch under a blanket on a Friday evening. The three little ones are asleep (which means I need to go to bed) and the older boys are having a movie night with their dad downstairs. Which means I have some moments of solitude. I almost do not know what to do.

This week has been one of the harder ones I have had in a while. Frankly, I think it has been harder because of me. My mindset. My selfishness. My expectations. I posted something on facebook earlier today about a quote I had read once. Something to this effect: without sleep we all become tall two year olds. While this is funny there is so much truth in it. My behaviour becomes so similar to my toddlers when I become extremely tired. My emotional reserves become shallow and I seem to justify my shortness and my frustration. On Sunday Eden started with fever and diarrhea. She went at least 20 times just on Sunday. Almost all of that was in the potty so that made it a bit more manageable. The diarrhea continued on Monday, Tuesday....and is till happening. Not 20 times a day but at least 5. It is horrible. Bringing back memories of the whole giardia experience when we brought her home. I had her to the dr today but they confirmed what I was already suspecting - more than likely viral. The fever only lasted 2 days but the beautiful stench has continued! Tristan also has a touch of it. I am so thankful they both potty trained within the past 3 weeks or we would have gone through tremendous amounts of diapers by now.

Eden has also embarked on something new. Wake fullness in the dead of night. About 3 weeks ago she started waking up in the middle of the night - wide awake and ready to go! She has always been a sound sleeper so this is still confusing to me. This past week she has been awake for at least 2 hours every night except one. Some nights longer than 2 hours. She appears in our room, one of us takes her back to her bed, she reappears 15 minutes later, we take her back to her bed, 15 minutes later - you get the point. For 2-3 hours!! It is brutal! I have had a difficult time functioning this week so I am glad Steffany challenged me to 30 days of thankfulness. I have been waking up not so thankful but have been looking for things throughout the day to keep myself focused on gratefulness! Although I am hoping for some resolution to her sleeplessness soon. Any ideas anyone? I am at a loss as to what to do. Look at this sweet face. Somehow it isn't nearly as sweet at 2:30 in the morning. And look at how beautiful her pearly whites are. Want to see what kind of damage they can inflict on her brother?
She is the first one of our children to be a biter. Again - trying to curb this behaviour. She puts everything in her mouth all the time and when someone is frustrating her she goes in for the kill!! Look at that bite mark! It was horrible!!

And then there is baby girl. Who I hear stirring in her crib. Why? It is nearly 10 o'clock!
A close up of my sweet girl. She is changing so much! The rolls seem to increase daily.
Judah and his girl!
Heidi is still in our room since we do not quite trust Eden. And why do we not trust her you ask? Hmmm....could it be her climbing abilities? As soon as any of the kids hear Heidi on the monitor they ask if they can go talk to her. On this particular day I told Tristan and Eden they could talk to her while I finished putting the lunch dishes in the dishwasher. (And yes ... Tristan is still wearing his jammies after lunch) I soon realized that the noises coming through the monitor were not of them talking to Heidi. I grabbed the camera and this is what I found.
I caught a moment between brothers one day after Judah got home from school. They went outside after having a snack, climbed onto the garage roof (it is pretty low) and were talking. They didn't realize I was taking their picture. I am sure they picked this spot since they have a hard time finding any privacy from the younger ones. I just stood and watched them for a few moments because I found the site so sweet.
The boys and I took a hike on the mountain that is at the back of our property.
And that my friends is a wrap! I am tired and hopeful that tonight may yield better sleep results at the Eveleth house!!

1 comment:

Beautiful Mess said...

Thankful for the "thankfulness" pursuit too!

Praying you got some sleep.

I am new to following and it is so neat to get a big picture peek at your crew. A lot to be thankful for with those beauties, biters and all :)

I love the pic of the boys secret spot-priceless! You wander what world problems were they solving in that discussion.

Thankful for you my new bloggy friend! Jen