Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Fruit Farm

Today we took the kids to the local fruit farm for their fall festival. I have always loved the fruit farm (as we affectionately call it). The folks who own the farm go to our church and their daughter, son-in-law and grand kids are becoming fast friends of ours. We have had a few fun times getting our families together so we told them we would make sure to get out for the festival. I have not been to the festival for a few years and my goodness!!! It was crazy! People everywhere! There were lots of little vendors selling their specialties, kettle corn being freshly made, the smell of french fries, apple dumplings....you name it! The kids enjoyed it a lot - all except Heidi. No big surprise but I thought since she was in the front pack she would just fall asleep. Oh...the danger of assumption!

The kids wanted to ride on the wagon to go and pick a pumpkin in the patch. While we were waiting in line Heidi ramped up the screaming so Mark took the other four by himself on the wagon and out to pick a pumpkin. I had this idea in my mind of taking tons of pictures and documenting everything. Heidi wasn't cooperating at all but I did manage to snap a few pictures. Tristan peeking over the edge of the wagon as they were getting back. It is a bit blurred but I love it still. They picked out a 50 lb pumpkin. I don't know if the kids picked that one or if Mark picked it. Either way we have a whopping pumpkin by our front door.
One of the boys favorite things was the sling-shot. You pay $1 for 3 apples. They use all the bruised apples that are not sell able. Want to see the target?
This pick-up truck parked out in a field.
Shane's turn. I don't think either of the boys hit the truck. They still thought it was great. Creative fun!
Of course Mark had to get in on the fun and he hit the truck every time. He was trying to get an apple through the truck window but didn't. Two funny shots of the kids. They all have such funny fake smiles.
We had a great time! I must say though that on days like today I can't help but get excited thinking about 2 years from now and how much easier things like this will be to do as a family. I tend to have unrealistic expectations when planning days like today. But we actually got out of the house and back again without my stress level getting too high. Miraculous!
Right before we left I was sitting in this nice wooden rocker outside the store at the farm. I was holding Heidi who had finally fell asleep and Eden was standing next to me hanging on my leg. A woman came up to her, bent down and said in Eden's ear, "You are so sweet I could just take you home." Eden just smiled and the woman continued talking to her. I was a little unsure for a moment but started relaxing when her daughter started talking to me. Turns out the daughter has adopted two children from Seoul Korea and she just was a bit curious about Eden. We talked for a bit and they both said, "Wow. You have your hands full!" And that was before Mark came back from buying kettle corn with the three boys. When they saw the rest of the kids their eyes got really wide and they started laughing. They said, "Oh...God bless you!" After we said our good-by's and as we walked to the car I thought to myself, "Yes. God has blessed me." I know they were saying it a bit sarcastically but it reminded me of the truth!
And that was our day!

1 comment:

steffany said...

Hilarious!
We too have a huge pumpkin by our front door!
Adam wants to carve it, but I'm like what are we going to do with the inside?
One day my sweet friend we will be walking with our families together picking out obnoxious pumpkins.or our hubby's will be picking out big pumpkins while we are soothing the crying little ones