Thursday, January 12, 2012

Twins


(This picture is 1 1/2 years old but one of my favorites!)

From the time I was a young girl I thought having twins would be wonderful. Clearly this was before I really understood how much work is involved with taking care of a baby. Fast forward quite a few years and I was experiencing pregnancy for the first time. We found ourselves in the doctors office one afternoon looking at an ultrasound screen and saw two little babies on the screen. I was shocked and elated! A week later we said good-bye to those two little ones. Miscarriage is a tricky road to navigate. And the pain was even greater as I had thought my dream of having twins was going to come true.
Fast forward 12 years and I have two sets of twins! Let me explain. In so many ways Tristan and Eden operate as twins. They are inseparable and spend most waking moments together. Sure there is fighting. But there is also plenty of laughter and play between the two of them. Never in our wildest dreams did we think we would have two so close in age when we started our adoption process. They are only 2-3 months apart even though their birthdays say otherwise.
Tonight they are having a sleep over in the girls room. This is becoming the routine around here. Eden usually makes a bed with blankets on the floor next to Tristan's bed and they have a sleep over. Tonight they wanted to do something different so he is tucked in between the girls beds. I may even end up sleeping in their room tonight since Heidi is running a fever and I am sure she will want me to sleep with her at some point. Which means over half the family will be in one bedroom tonight!! Who needs extra bedrooms?
I tell these two that they are twins just born six years apart. They too are pretty inseparable. Most nights as I tuck Shane in bed Heidi climbs in to snuggle with him.
She misses her Shane so very much while he is gone at school! When she sees him get off the bus she starts waving and calling for him! He gets the sweetest smile every time he sees her frantic waves.
Turns out I have blessed with twins more than once! Just a bit more unconventional. But blessed none the less!

1 comment:

Koelle said...

Becky, I love the family photo as your header! Such a beautiful family! You are so full of love and Grace, and I feel blessed to know you and read about you all! Take care!