Thursday, August 18, 2011

Gardening

"Mothers have been created by God to be gardeners of the soul of children." - Sally Clarkson.

I read this quote last week on my sister-in-laws facebook status (thanks Christine) and have pondering it ever since. I have said before that I do really well with word pictures. I am sure there are many of you that could tell me my learning style based on that but I have never analyzed myself long enough to figure it out. I just know that word pictures and simple analogies register and remain with me.


For those of you who know us well you know that Mark is gifted in taking a chunk of land and making beautiful gardens! I have long ago bowed out of the beautiful landscaping but still thoroughly enjoy my vegetable garden. There is something gratifying about planting, watering, weeding, harvesting and eating from your own garden. It is the fruit of your work!


Raising children is so similar! Every day there is ample opportunity to till the soil of your child's heart, plant seeds of character, water their spirits with affection and affirmation, weed out the selfishness and ungratefulness and in due time you will reap a harvest! Some things in a garden need pruning and winterized so they survive until the next spring. And sometimes our children need "pruning" so they can overcome and survive "winters" of the soul. This isn't something you ever hope for your child but we do live in a broken world.


I am grateful I read the above quote. It has once again reminded me of the entrustment I have been given as a mother and the importance of what I do daily. I am the gardener of their souls and desire so much to do well in this task. May we not view our children's needs as interruptions but as opportunities to nurture.



"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9


2 comments:

Meredith said...

Beautiful thoughts, Becky! BTW is that photo of landscaping on your property? If so, tell Mark it's lovely!~Edith

Kara Plank said...

Incredible thoughts to think on! I know I often fail in taking the time to fertilize and sometimes just end of feeling like I prune, prune, prune.... :)