Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Loss and Grief

Over the weekend I was getting ready to post fun sledding pictures and talk about the goodness of life when I found out my friend Lisa's baby had passed away. I felt a huge weight on my chest. I spent a chunk of time sobbing for their loss. My dear husband just held me as my body shook from the depths. I have had other friends experience deep loss as well but this time my heart felt so broken. She fought so heroically for 5 months! She played peek-a-boo with her mommy, would get excited at the visits of her sisters......she lived a relatively short time but the impact has been great! She was a fighter and her parents are amazing!! I wish so badly I could fly to Colorado and be a part of celebrating her life with them!

During these months I have thought often of how Lisa befriended me upon my arrival at a new school my junior year. The times spent hanging out in her basement, running through her yard to another friends house (I thought living within walking distance to a friends house had to be so cool), our trip to Florida our senior year to visit her grandmother.....in all our moments of carefree laughter it never entered my mind that there may come a day that one of us would walk through the loss of a child as the other flounders to know how to extend love! It is just not something you imagine when you talk about what life will be like someday. You only imagine the good, the easy....not the difficult life altering moments.

I will get back to pictures of everyday life soon since life does go on. Would you take some moments and pray for Lisa, Shanker, their girls and extended family as they are saying good-bye to sweet Madeline Grace? Life for them will also go on but with a noticeable void. And take a moment to gave on her beautiful face. http://www.madelinegracewiegel.blogspot.com She truly has touched my heart deeply and will not be forgotten!!

2 comments:

adalong said...

Awww, Becky. I grieve with you. What a difficult time for all. I love your compassionate heart!

Koelle said...

How sad for everyone. She was a beautiful little one. My prayers are with you, and with your friends. I'm certain that a mother's heart never heals completely after the death of a child. May God grace her with the strength to carry her through this hard time.