Thursday, August 12, 2010

Our Week

Here we are on the cusp of school starting again and I feel like the summer should only be half-over. Where does the time go? I'll tell you where. Swimming, doctor's appointments, playing, dentist appointments, eye-doctor appointments.....see the pattern? Yesterday alone I spent 1 1/2 hours at the pediatric dentist while Eden had 3 teeth fixed and then another hour at the doctor in the afternoon for Eden to be seen for a small bump on her cheek bone. Folliculitis. She is on a 5 day dose of antibiotics which make her extremely delightful! *insert sarcasm* She will be finished with her medicine just in time for us to head for the mountains for a few days next week with our kids! We haven't been to the beach in 4 years but we decided since Heidi really isn't a big fan of sand that going to the beach could be slightly traumatic for her and a drag for us! We will instead hole up in a cabin for a few days and spend lots of time in the creek. The kids are counting down the amount of sleeps we have until our departure and Tristan informs us everyday how soon we will be leaving. He also tells us the day of the week and the time of day over and over all day long! He likes having his facts in order.

Yesterday Judah and Shane had another adventure with Ellen. This time they went a little farther than normal so they could watch the Steelers practice. Now, for those of you who don't know us too well I will fill you in on a few things: first of all, we are not Steelers fans! Gasp! We are Eagles fans! But we have one son in our house who is a Steelers fan. It has been a bit contentious in the past between the two boys mainly because they share a room and Shane has to look at all the Steelers paraphernalia every time he enters the room! Shane was a bit unsure if his loyalty would be in question if he went to watch the Steelers practice but we assured him it was a-okay!

Now, we aren't crazy football fans! But we do really enjoy when football season starts and we don't miss too many Eagle's games. And obviously there is such rivalry between the Eagles and Steelers. But I must say something beautiful happened yesterday when they arrived home from their grand adventure. At least to me it was precious! I overheard the boys and Mark downstairs in their bedroom talking about what team was best. And I heard my husband tell Judah that we would cheer for the Steelers when they play! I almost interrupted out of shock but I listened as they all came to an agreement to cheer for each other's teams. This may seem ridiculous to most people but my husband has been an Eagles fan all his life and to hear him affirm his son and tell him he would support him made me smile! So, I guess that means I have to somehow dig deep and cheer for the Steelers.

On another note all together I was reading a story to Eden this evening and had the cutest thing happen. It is a story about a bird who is searching for his mother and asks animal after animal if it is his mother. The bird is rejected numerous times before a mother bear overhears her cries and says she will be her mother. It is a really sweet story and at the end it shows the bird with her new mom and the rest of a family - an alligator, a pig, and I can't remember the 3rd one. Very obviously they are all different. The following conversation took place:

Me: Eden, do they all look the same.
Eden: No.
Me: Do we look different?
Eden: No.
Me: We don't?
Eden: Are you brown mommy?
Me: No. You have brown skin and I have white skin.
Eden: You aren't my mommy!!! (with dramatic flair and a big grin)

We sat and laughed together at her silliness but I wondered briefly if she really doesn't see the differences yet. She has mentioned her skin color often and I just assumed she realized I was different. It brings a smile to my face as I type this. She is just so cute!

1 comment:

adalong said...

Your children are so precious!
Are you going to the cabin @ Slate Run?
Have a marvelous time!