Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cedar Run

After spending a few days in Cedar Run I am convinced it has to be one of the prettiest places on this beautiful earth! The mountains are spectacular, the water perfect, the quietness satisfying to the soul and just overall beautiful everywhere you look! I am already trying to figure out when we can go next summer. So....what do you do when the days seem long, there is no internet and no cell phones? You spend lots of time in the water, riding bikes, eating snacks, catching crayfish, fishing. And if you are the mom this means you spend your days following your children from one activity to the next, changing them from swimming gear into clothes and then back into swimming gear multiple times a day while sporadically feeding famished children. The little ones liked stacking the stones down by the water while the older ones would swim.
The kids sitting on the couch in the cabin first thing in the morning. Judah was trying to appear grumpy but you can see the smile simmering below the surface.

Heidi loved wandering around the campground. She would walk the few steps down the driveway to my brother's camper and then back again. She became more comfortable as the days went on although she still didn't want her mom or dad out of line of vision.

Early morning snuggle time with Grandma. My mom came along for two of the days we were there and it is always fun for my kids to have Grandma around. They don't get to see her too often so that was an added bonus!
There was one part of the creek that someone had created a dam and channeled the water through a 4-5 foot opening. The result was a portion of the creek that you would lay back in the water, get rocketed through the opening and carried downstream until you could get out of the current. Here was Mark helping Cassie evade the current so she could go back upstream and do it again. I cannot believe the kids did not wear out sooner than they did.
Here is Heidi just looking beautiful! She is pretty skilled in that department!
Cassie playing with my girls while they ventured into the shallow portion of the creek.

Kayla and Eden getting warmed up after playing in the cold water. Cousins at heart!
Cassie stacking the rocks.
And more......
And more....
My boys favorite part was the "jumping rock".
Untamed natural beauty that calls to the hearts of adventurous boys! Oh...how this momma wants to caution and keep her boys safe. But yet knows deep within that their father knows better than I what validates them. It is part of my gift as a mother to want to nurture and protect. That is all fine and good but I am learning there comes a time in a little boys life when they don't need all that nurturing as much. It is hard for me to believe we are at that point already but they need their daddy more than me. Or I guess I should say they need him in a different way. They tire of me telling them to be careful. They want to push the limits, compete and prove that they are men! I know my days are numbered with my little Tristan man and I feel a tinge of sadness.
They had the time of their life! Climbing, jumping, swimming and doing it all over again. I would hear, "I dare you to....." and I would cringe.
And just to make sure they had enough energy we gave them more sugar!
Cousins who don't get to see each other enough - at least according to my boys! They usually get a few days every summer to connect and play but it is never long enough. The dog days of summer are nearly gone and it makes me a bit sad. Life seems to be speeding up and I wish I could freeze it!

2 comments:

Charity Hildebrand said...

Beautiful pictures! It looks like the kids had a blast! I hope you found some time to relax too :)

Did you get my email?

adalong said...

Great post, Becky! Looks like a great time!
Love,
Ada