Saturday, July 23, 2011

Today He Is 5

I am not really sure how 5 years have passed since my third son entered this world. From the time I was convinced I was in labor till he arrived was a short 2 1/2 hours! I was suspicious I was beginning labor but not positive until we were on our way to the hospital. I can remember every detail so vividly. Probably because everything was happening so fast and felt completely out of control!

He was so anxious for his 5th birthday. He began counting down the days months ago. And with his affinity for numbers he kept track pretty closely of how many days away we were from this monumental day! He wakes up and the first thing he wants to do is check the weather online to see what the current temperature is and what the high temperature is going to be for the day. This is after he tells us exactly what time he woke up! He needs the same spoon every morning for breakfast - a serving spoon. How he fits it in his mouth is still a mystery! He asks to check the weather again shortly after breakfast so he can see if the temperature has changed. He would prefer to wear his jammies all day and is very reluctant to get dressed. He is as predictable as they come! He likes his routine and isn't very happy when things don't go as planned. Like when the carpet cleaners show up a minute before they are supposed to.


He did try something new last night. His brothers informed him yesterday that once he turns five he can wear his underwear to sleep without jammies and he was quite intrigued by this. He told me a few times that you can wear your underwear to sleep only in the spring and summer. He gave it a try last night and was successful. After only about 2 minutes he called for me to get his jammies but decided to keep trying. Oh how brave!!


My favorite story with him this week may be somewhat offensive to some but made my heart smile! I overheard him explaining to his sisters (Lord help us) how big God's penis is. Complete with hand motions. He wavered right after saying, "God's penis is this big (insert hand motion)! I think......" Of course it would only be natural to him that God has the same anatomy as he does just on a grander scale. Things eventually were compared to the size of our house!! And I calmly walked away without correcting anything. He is just trying to sort things out. But it made me laugh.


We love this treasure so much and are thoroughly enjoying figuring out how his little brain works. He is sweet, very smart and handsome to boot!! Happy Birthday little man!

1 comment:

Koelle said...

Happy Birthday, Tristan! Time certainly does fly! It was shortly after his birth that I met you! Wow!

I loved the story of God's penis! Oh how funny! It certainly makes sense to me that in the eyes of a little boy, God would have a monumental body! And that is a boy's favorite part, so of course it would be the one he would choose to talk about! How sweet!

I'm so glad that I am still able to see your kiddos growing via the blog. It was always a joy to visit with you all, and I'm grateful for your wisdom, gratitude and faith. You're a terrific mother, Becky, with 5 wonderful kids to prove it! God bless you all!