Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Laughter

Did you know that laughter relieves physical tension and stress in your muscles for up to 45 minutes after a good hearty laugh?

And did you know that laughter triggers the release of endorphins and boosts your immune system?

We have all heard the phrase "laughter is the best medicine." And we know all through scripture joyful hearts are mentioned.


I have found that my children are much better at laughter than I am. It rolls out of them without thought. I hear tiny snippets of their laughter all throughout my day. I, on the other hand, am too caught up in the demands of the day to take a moment and move towards their laughter. I am sure if I stopped what I was doing, moved in their direction and participated in their laughter that I would feel the tightness in my shoulders begin to disappear.


Every summer I take my children aside individually and give them something to work towards. It is something I see in their character that needs a little extra attention. It might be learning to take ownership of their reactions. It might be learning to respond cheerfully when asked to help. It might be using kind words instead of defensiveness.


My thing that I need to work on this summer is lightening up and looking for opportunities to laugh until my stomach hurts! Which won't be too hard considering the fact that my stomach is out of shape. Yes....stomachs can be out of shape. Just trust me on this one.


I want my children to have fond memories of us laughing ourselves silly instead of a list driven mother! Anyone want to join me in moving towards laughter?


*on a serious note have your read about dear little Teri Lynn? Last I checked her grant was a little over $15,000! Keep praying for her family to come forward b/c her ransom is almost complete!*

No comments: