Monday, November 8, 2010

This and That

I am finding myself with a lot of things I want to blog about today. Funny happenings with the kids, what I gleaned and learned this weekend at the orphan summit, ideas for Christmas presents that serve a dual purpose (a gift as well as helping someone in a developing world), etc. I think that for today I will keep it focusd on my silly children. After all.....some days I feel more annoyed than blessed by them which is a horrible state of mind. How easy it is for me to fall into my self-absorbed state of being.

A quick note about the summit: I really don't know how to put into words all I learned. There is a lot of work to be done people! Lives at stake!! I am purposefully holding off even beginning to write about the breakout sessions I attended because I am hoping to gain permission from a mother I met at the summit who had a daughter that may have single-handedly changed my life! Seriously!! I sent her an email today and hopefully will hear back from her within in a few days so I can tell you the story!

On to the daily grind here. Today is a sad day for one little boy in our house who is involuntarily going through rehab for his escalating Wii addiction! Two weeks ago we thought maybe it would be fun to teach Tristan and Eden how to play a few games on the Wii. Big mistake! At least for Tristan. He wakes up in the morning wondering how soon he can play Mario Kart and doesn't stop until bedtime. Literally!! It is the only gaming system in our house and we are fairly strict with the amount of time they are allowed to play. He will sit all day and do nothing at all until he is allowed to have his Wii time. So....this week he is experiencing life without his beloved Wii which ultimately affects everyone in the house but the other kids probably will not even ask. He has spent a considerable amount of time today mourning his loss but seems to be perking up now.

Tristan and Eden seem to be on a campaign to bring another baby into our home. Although they cannot seem to agree on the color of their baby. Eden wants a brown baby and Tristan is pretty set on a black baby. Forgive the lack of pc terminology but my kids don't seem to have any regard for what is proper. They just want a baby!

Judah and Shane had a sleepover at some friends on Friday night. They wanted to take all the kids to a later movie - 9:30pm. Judah almost opted to stay back at the house since it was his bedtime. How many kids do you know that would decide to miss a movie in order to go to bed? My children are indeed unique!

2 comments:

Charity Hildebrand said...

Glad you're back! Can't wait to hear more about the orphan summit!!! :) :)

Amy said...

We got an XBox awhile ago when Chester was recuperating from toe surgery, since then we have had varying degrees of addictive behavior and have tried to come up with creative ways to solve the issue, our favorite so far is verses for minutes... we have a checklist and the kids can say verses in the evenings to earn time that they are allowed to use with permission, one verse equals 10 minutes playing time, no limit to the amount of verses they are allowed to memorize :-) I am delighted that the kids are learning the Bible and they are happy to earn time.